Perhaps I need to get out much (there really isn’t a lot to do, of an evening, in winter in rural France), but once I got the idea of making a dragon that could sit on your shoulder like the one Khalissi has in Game of Thrones I couldn’ stop. Not entirely sure how many hours it took, but I made it over a week.
I then began the process of putting some “flesh” on the bones. I started by wrapping wool around the wire. I figured that this would make it easier when trying to needle-felt – give the wool something to hang onto!
You can see in the above photo that I had also began to needle felt the head. It was then just a case of adding more wool and needle felting it until it began to look more like a dragon.
Once I had built up the body I made some wet felted sheets for the wings. I used two different types of red and did three very fine layers (a bright red, sandwiched between two dark layers).
It was around this point I attached three magnets to the dragon. One on each foot, and one on the tip of his tail. I attached the magnets using a glue gun, and then needle-felted over them.
It was then a case of adding colour and detail until I was happy with it.